[Python-ideas] Python 3000 TIOBE -3%

Barry Warsaw barry at python.org
Thu Feb 16 17:07:11 CET 2012

On Feb 15, 2012, at 04:46 PM, Stephen J. Turnbull wrote:

>[1]  When this damned term is over in a few weeks, I'll take a look at
>the tutorial-level docs and see if I can come up with a gentle
>approach for those who are finding out for the first time that the
>locale-dependent default isn't good enough for them.

I really hope you do this, but note that it would be very helpful to have
guidelines and recommendations even for advanced, knowledgeable Python
developers.  I have participated in many discussions in various forums with
other Python developers where genuine differences of opinion or experience,
leads to different solutions.  It would be very helpful to point to a document
and say "here are the best practices for your [application|library] as
recommended by core Python experts in Unicode handling."

Cheers,
-Barry