[Python-ideas] ScopeGuardStatement/Defer Proposal

Steven D'Aprano steve at pearwood.info
Sun Feb 19 00:52:57 CET 2012

Guido van Rossum wrote:

>> I think something that is missing for me is a clear picture of where
>> Python is going.  I imagine between you, Guido, Martin, Anton, Georg
>> and Raymond (apologies to any of the primary group I'm forgetting)
>> there is some degree of tacit understanding.  My perspective on python
>> was framed by Peter Norvig's description of it as aspiring to be a
>> humane reexamination of lisp, but lately I get the feeling the target
>> would better be described as a 21st century pascal.
>
> Was that meant as an insult? Because it sounds to me like one.

I hope not. I like Pascal. It has nice, clean syntax (if a tad verbose, with
the BEGIN/END tags) and straight-forward, simple semantics. Standard Pascal is
somewhat lacking (e.g. no strings) but who uses standard Pascal?

Without wishing to deny the strengths of C, I think the computing world would
be a lot better if C was closer to Pascal than if Pascal had been closer to C.

--
Steven