[Python-ideas] sys.path is a hack - bringing it back under control

anatoly techtonik techtonik at gmail.com
Mon Feb 20 14:18:22 CET 2012

On Mon, Feb 20, 2012 at 1:38 PM, Nick Coghlan <ncoghlan at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Mon, Feb 20, 2012 at 7:47 PM, anatoly techtonik <techtonik at gmail.com>
> wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I often find this in my scripts/projects, that I run directly from
> checkout:
> >
> > DEVPATH = os.path.dirname(os.path.abspath(__file__))
> > sys.path.insert(0, DEVPATH)
>
> PEP 395 describes my current plan to fix sys.path initialisation
> (however, I can't yet promise that it will make it into 3.3, since it
> doesn't even have a reference implementation yet, and I have several
> other things I want to get done first).

tl;dr :(

The abstract doesn't give any valuable info. "proposes new mechanisms to
eliminate some longstanding traps" doesn't say anything. Which mechanssms?
What traps? I see there a mention of my problem with Django. How can it
help to debug other sys.path problems? Do I really have to read 15 page
document to understand that?
--
anatoly t.