[Python-ideas] sys.path is a hack - bringing it back under control

Terry Reedy tjreedy at udel.edu
Mon Feb 20 21:58:35 CET 2012

On 2/20/2012 12:39 PM, anatoly techtonik wrote:

> I am not an English writer,

I am a native English (American) speaker/writer who can barely write in
one other natural language (Spanish). So I have great sympathy for and
appreciation for those who struggle with English. And I am willing to
help those who wish to improve.

 > but I am interested to know where did this
> impression of me calling core developers a bunch of incompetent idiots
> is coming from.

 From the way you have written in the past. Nick may have been
exaggerating a bit, but I have gotten similar impressions, though you
have been writing better and more effectively recently. I think it was
just a month ago that you were persuasive enough to get something added
for 3.3.

 > If anybody can quote concrete example and explain in
> private - I may have a chance to change something.

Now that I know that it is not your intention to come across as
antagonistic, I will try to do the above if I see bad examples in the
future.

 > My English is a result of learning legal and technical English texts,

The legal part in interesting. Legal English in adversarial situations
is used to metaphorically club people -- or to confuse people.

In reading the Argentina Python users list, I have noticed that
conversational Spanish is not exactly the same as the formal Spanish I
learned in classes some decades ago. But it is sometimes hard to know
what is a sloppy error and what is an accepted idiom.

--
Terry Jan Reedy