[Python-ideas] Fwd: doctest (and.... python3000)

Mark Janssen dreamingforward at gmail.com
Mon Feb 27 21:43:14 CET 2012

On Mon, Feb 27, 2012 at 1:22 PM, Ethan Furman <ethan at stoneleaf.us> wrote:
>> I should probably correct myself.  It is suiltable, just not
>> enjoyable.  But now I know you are someone who likes all that arcana
>> of unittest module.
>
> I'm not sure about *that* -- having to exactly reproduce the output of the
> interpreter seems kind of arcane to me.  ;)

Well, you're an interesting test case for a theory -- some people shouldn't
be coding in python...

Python, as I see, is "the coder's language".  It's meant for a programmers
who want to write code for the sake of their art -- coding for him/herself
firstly (and their community) and secondly for "industrial productions" --
shops that just churn out working apps without a consideration for the art.

In the latter case, tests won't be for future coders in your community, but
for maintaining "*la machine*"  -- the simple, logical machine in your code.

This, to me, is the primary split between those of us who still have high
hopes for a true Python3000 (now evolved into python4000 because of release
v3) and the rest....

Accurate in your case?

mark