[Python-ideas] Public feedback tools (Was: working on a PEP for the __preview__ package)

anatoly techtonik techtonik at gmail.com
Wed Jan 4 12:23:55 CET 2012

On Wed, Jan 4, 2012 at 4:34 AM, Nick Coghlan <ncoghlan at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Wed, Jan 4, 2012 at 1:47 AM, anatoly techtonik <techtonik at gmail.com>
> wrote:
> > Before attempting any library refactoring or addition, I would first
> think
> > about placing a feedback mechanism in place to collect public response
> about
> > satisfaction with current stdlib contents, and collecting proposals about
> > parts that should be included into stdlib (or another bundle shipped with
> > Python).
>
> Sorry anatoly, you're not going to win that one. We're well aware you
> don't like the use of mailing lists, the issue tracker, IRC, blogs,
> Reddit, Hacker News, Stack Overflow, etc for feedback and want
> something else that is formal and structured, but isn't the issue
> tracker (since you object to that for reasons I don't really
> understand).

I want something that will accumulate and summarize the outcome of all
these informal activities in a structured way. With a tight time limits it
is impossible to read and follow all discussions, so there should be an
easy way to say +1 or -1 to filter useful stuff. There is nothing wrong
with Reddit, Stack Overflow and etc., except that it is very hard to figure
out trends in Python development.

Without visible trends (or Roadmap FWIW) - you can't see what is going to
be changed and how can you help (in accordance with your own skills and
motivations). Even if you don't want to (or can't) help, you at least want
to place your +1, -1 and see what other people think is right or wrong
about Python. At least you will learn something new that will help to
change things you've become aware of in the future.

If you want to set up your own feedback mechanism,
> encourage people to use it, and act as a conduit between your new
> mechanism and the channels the current core devs are already paying
> attention to, feel free.

If only I could finish anything alone..
--
anatoly t.