[Python-ideas] Posting style

Alexander Belopolsky alexander.belopolsky at gmail.com
Tue Jan 10 21:56:41 CET 2012

On Tue, Jan 10, 2012 at 3:21 PM, Ben Finney <ben+python at benfinney.id.au> wrote:
>> The big pain though is answering email on a (not-so-)smartphone […]
>> (and I'll often choose to wait until I'm back at a machine with a full
>> keyboard for exactly that reason).
>
> Yes. If one knows enough to feel the need to apologise for one's email
> client, then one also knows enough to wait until a better email client
> is available. No apology necessary.

+1

In good old times your usenet client (nn) would say:

This program posts news to thousands of machines throughout the entire
civilized world. Your message will cost the net hundreds if not
thousands of dollars to send everywhere. Please be sure you know what
you are doing. Are you absolutely sure that you want to do this? [y /
n]

The economic realities of the Internet changed since that program was
in wide use, but it is still true that any time you save by getting
your reply out sooner is not worth it if it will cost untold hours to
the global community for the rest of the life of the list archive.

A hint to Gmail users: if you highlight a portion of the message
before hitting reply, only that portion will be quoted.