[Python-ideas] Fwd: quantifications, and tuple patterns

Simon Sapin simon.sapin at kozea.fr
Sun Jan 15 11:54:20 CET 2012

Le 15/01/2012 03:01, Steven D'Aprano a écrit :
> def any2(iterable, pred=bool):
>       """Like any(pred(x) for x in iterable), returning False if it is false,
>       otherwise obj, the first witness that it is true.
>       """
>       for obj in iterable:
>           if pred(obj):
>               return obj
>       # I look forward to the bike-shedding about returning None
>       # vs returning False;)
>       return False

Hi,

If the point is to get some value that matches a predicate, how about this?

next(value for value in iterable if predicate(value))

If a "no value" marker is desired instead of StopIteration:

next((value for value in iterable if predicate(value)), None)

But yes, assignment-expression is still required to avoid the while
True/if/break dance.

Regards,
--
Simon Sapin