[Python-ideas] itertools recipes: why not add them to the stdlib *somewhere*?

Devin Jeanpierre jeanpierreda at gmail.com
Tue Jul 10 05:38:38 CEST 2012

On Mon, Jul 9, 2012 at 9:52 PM, Terry Reedy <tjreedy at udel.edu> wrote:
> Well, in the sense that we try to make sure that they work as advertised
> *with the example data*, yes. However, that is the end of the support.
> Examples are just examples, put there to illustrate a didactic point. They
> are often simplified to serve the specific purpose. They are not intended to
> be production code, and they are not supported as that.

I've never assumed that (obviously, I guess), and that isn't stated in
the docs. If that's the level of support of those recipes, this should
be made clear inside the itertools documentation, because they _are_
used in peoples' code. For example, see the third party module linked
earlier in the thread.

On the contrary, the docs state the recipes are for creating an
"extended toolset", implying that they can be used freely the same as
the rest of the code.

-- Devin