[Python-ideas] Python as a tool to download stuff for bootstrapping

Nick Coghlan ncoghlan at gmail.com
Tue Jul 10 11:11:58 CEST 2012

On Tue, Jul 10, 2012 at 5:51 PM, Amaury Forgeot d'Arc
<amauryfa at gmail.com> wrote:
> 2012/7/10 anatoly techtonik <techtonik at gmail.com>:
>> Wow! Nice, but still a hack. I doubt many people wouls accept magic
>> files messing in the root dir of the package. The only way it will
>> look good is:
>>
>>     python -m update_sdk.zip sdk_update[.py]
>>
>> but I don't know if that's supported.
>
> -m does work with zip files (with a __main__.py file) and command line
> arguments are passed.
> Or did you expect another kind of support?

-m doesn't handle zip files - you just execute them directly:

python <script> = source files, bytecode files, directories, zip files
(requires a top level __main__.py in the latter two cases)
python -m <module> = modules, packages (requires a __main__ submodule
for the latter case)

The switch is only to tell the interpreter whether you're providing a
filesystem path (default) or a Python module name (-m switch).

Cheers,
Nick.