[Python-ideas] changing sys.stdout encoding

Paul Moore p.f.moore at gmail.com
Thu Jun 7 08:27:36 CEST 2012

On 7 June 2012 03:34, Rurpy <rurpy at yahoo.com> wrote:
> It is a minor issue but the end result of experiences
> like this, although infrequent, is often "WTF, why is
> this simple and reasonable thing so hard to do?".  And
> after a few times some programmers will start to wonder
> if maybe Python is not really an industrial-strength
> language -- one that they can be effective all the time,
> even when the problem falls outside the 95% demographic.
> (And I am not talking about things totally out of
> python's scope like high performance computing or
> systems programming.)

One suggestion, which would probably shed some light on whether this
should be viewed as something "simple and reasonable", would be to do
some research on how the same task would be achieved in other
languages. I have no experience to contribute but my intuition says
that this could well be hard on other languages too. Would you be
willing to do some web searches to look for solutions in (say) Java,
or C#, or Ruby? In theory, it shouldn't take long (as otherwise you
can conclude that the solution is obscure to the same extent that it
is with Python).

Even better, if those other languages do have a simple solution, it
may suggest an approach that would be appropriate for Python.

Paul.