[Python-ideas] Nudging beginners towards a more accurate mental model for loop else clauses

Antoine Pitrou solipsis at pitrou.net
Fri Jun 8 16:55:17 CEST 2012

Le 08/06/2012 11:04, Nick Coghlan a écrit :

> The only thing I'm trying to do with the tutorial update is to
> encourage beginners to be start thinking in terms of try/except/else
> when they first encounter for/break/else and while/break/else. That's
> it.

I don't see why you're trying to draw that analogy, since a loop has
nothing in common with a try block. For the record, when I was a Python
beginner, I had zero problem understanding the for/else construct, and
it even struck me as very useful ("oh, they've thought about a clean and
easy way to write search-and-break loops").

I don't think it's useful to think of beginners as people having
comprehension problems. Besides, if you don't understand something up
front, there's always the possibility to come back later.

Regards

Antoine.