[Python-ideas] Nudging beginners towards a more accurate mental model for loop else clauses

Yuval Greenfield ubershmekel at gmail.com
Sun Jun 10 18:13:38 CEST 2012

On Sun, Jun 10, 2012 at 7:04 PM, MRAB <python at mrabarnett.plus.com> wrote:

> On 10/06/2012 16:50, Yuval Greenfield wrote:
>
>> I hope this isn't too off-topic, but is the tutorial supposed to
>> exhaustively explain the python language?
>>
>> Because if not, then the for-else/while-else clause may be a good thing
>> to move to an appendix.
>>
>>  The for-else/while-else clause is part of the core language, so it
> should be explained.

If we want a dust of a chance to deprecate for-else/while-else in python 6,
circa 2031, then we should at least move it to the back of the tutorial.
I'm not suggesting to completely delete the text, just to nudge it to the
end. This clause is most definitely not a common pattern in python.
Personally I've never seen it in the wild and most pythonistas I've spoken
with have never heard of the construct.

Yuval