[Python-ideas] Add adaptive-load salt-mandatory hashing functions?

Guido van Rossum guido at python.org
Mon Jun 11 18:49:45 CEST 2012

On Mon, Jun 11, 2012 at 3:03 AM, Nick Coghlan <ncoghlan at gmail.com> wrote:
> However, password hashing is an important and common enough problem
> that it would be good to have some basic level of support in the
> standard library, with a clear migration path to a more feature
> complete approach like passlib.

I usually like this approach, but here I am hesitant, because of the
cost if the basic approach is found inadequate. The stdlib support
should either be state-of-the art or so poor that people are naturally
driven to a state-of-the art alternative on PyPI that is maintained
regularly. In this case I think our only option is the latter. I do
think it is another example of a situation where the stdlib docs ought
to contain some hints about where to go instead for this

--Guido van Rossum (python.org/~guido)