[Python-ideas] doctest

Devin Jeanpierre jeanpierreda at gmail.com
Fri Mar 2 18:59:43 CET 2012

On Fri, Mar 2, 2012 at 12:30 PM, Guido van Rossum <guido at python.org> wrote:
> Devin,
>
> You need to start writing real code rather than continue to tell us
> that the problems are minor and easily fixable, and the solutions are
> uncontroversial. To those who have tried and thought about it, the
> problems are *not* easy to solve , except for some superficial edge
> cases that you and other critics of doctest keep focusing on.

I already did write real code. In the context of this discussion, I
implemented a +LITERAL_EVAL flag.

Was there something else I was supposed to write, other than the
solution I advocated? ;)

https://bitbucket.org/devin.jeanpierre/doctest2/src/e084a682ccbc/doctest2/constants.py#cl-122

> And please don't propose that we change the behavior of dict or other
> data types itself, or add new APIs to objects just for the purpose of
> "fixing" doctest's issues.

I would never dream of it. That's pretty obscene.

-- Devin