[Python-ideas] Serializable method

Jakob Bowyer jkbbwr at gmail.com
Fri Mar 9 18:05:51 CET 2012

So originally I presented this idea for serialize methods something like
to_json()

but the idea was rightly shot down where the language would have to support
most formats and this could lead to confusion or complication.

So this is a newer version of that idea.

I think that object should provide an __serializable__ method which in-turn
allows the user to define in it how the object is to be serialized, the
default operation should be something along the lines of  return
self.__dict__ but that is just semantics. The idea with an object that
offers a serializable method means that the object can be passed directly
to any formater in python that offers a .dump method and the object
is immediately formatted how the end user wants the data to be, without
needing to write a middle layer formatter for this object.

Is this another terrible idea from me? Or is there some ground in this?