[Python-ideas] My objections to implicit package directories

Yuval Greenfield ubershmekel at gmail.com
Wed Mar 14 17:34:30 CET 2012

I've always had trouble understanding and explaining the complexities and
intricacies of python packaging.

Is there a most basic but comprehensive list of use cases? IIUC they are:

* Eg Standard library - import from a list of paths to be searched.
* Eg This project - import from a relative path based on this file's
current directory (which python has an odd syntax for).
* Eg Distributed packages and virtual-env - import from a relative path
based on an anchor directory.

If we were to start completely from scratch would this problem be an easy
one?

Yuval Greenfield