[Python-ideas] A more useful command-line wsgiref.simple_server?

Terry Reedy tjreedy at udel.edu
Wed Mar 28 21:13:56 CEST 2012

On 3/28/2012 7:37 AM, Masklinn wrote:
> Currently, calling wsgiref.simple_server simply mounts the (bundled)
> demo app.
>
> I think that's a bit of a lost opportunity: as the community has mostly
> standardized on a *.wsgi/wsgi.py script providing an `application` name
> in its global namespace, it would be nice if wsgiref.simple_server could
> take such a file as parameter and mount the application provided:

In my ignorance, this seems like a sensible request. If I understand
correctly, you are not proposing to break any existing uses but to make
this more useful without being overly specialized. If you file an issue,
Phillip Eby would probably be asked to review. The web-sig might be the
best place to thrash out details and demonstrate 'community agreement'.
A patch file, preferably with a test, along with a good text
explanation, usually speeds disposition of an issue.

--
Terry Jan Reedy