[Python-ideas] PEP 4XX: Adding sys.implementation

Nick Coghlan ncoghlan at gmail.com
Tue May 1 05:08:44 CEST 2012

On Tue, May 1, 2012 at 12:50 PM, Eric Snow <ericsnowcurrently at gmail.com> wrote:
> In my mind sys.implementation makes more sense.  For example, in the
> case of cache_tag (which is merely a potential future variable), its
> value is an implementation detail used by importlib.  Having it in
> sys.implementation would emphasize this point.

Personally, I think cache_tag should be part of the initial proposal.
Implementations may want to use different cache tags depending on
additional information that importlib shouldn't need to care about,
and I think it would also be reasonable to allow "cache_tag=None" to
disable the implicit caching altogether.

The ultimate goal would be for us to be able to eliminate
implementation checks from other parts of the standard library.
importlib is a good place to start, since the idea is that, aside from
the mechanism used to bootstrap it into place, along with optional
acceleration of __import__, importlib itself should be implementation
independent.

Cheers,
Nick.