[Python-ideas] bool(datetime.time(0, 0))

Nick Coghlan ncoghlan at gmail.com
Tue May 8 09:09:25 CEST 2012

On Tue, May 8, 2012 at 3:42 PM, Steven D'Aprano <steve at pearwood.info> wrote:
> On Tue, May 08, 2012 at 01:57:13PM +1000, Nick Coghlan wrote:
>> In matters of opinion, the status quo reigns.
>
> That's somewhat of an exaggeration. The mere existence of a single
> dissenting opinion isn't enough to block all progress/changes. (Not
> unless it's Guido *wink*.) Consensus doesn't require every single person
> to agree.

The current behaviour is perfectly consistent and well-defined, so
changing it will break any code that relies on the current behaviour.
The burden is not on me to prove that there *is* such code in the
wild, it's on those proposing a change to prove that there *isn't*
such code (which can't be done), or else to provide a sufficiently
compelling rationale that the risk of breakage can be justified.

"I don't like it" is not a valid argument for a change, nor is "I like
using a boolean test when I really mean an 'is not None' test".

*If* such a change were to be made, it would require at least one
release where a DeprecationWarning was emitted before returning False,
and then the return value could change in the next release. Why
bother?

Cheers,
Nick.