[Python-ideas] bool(datetime.time(0, 0))

Stephen J. Turnbull stephen at xemacs.org
Wed May 9 03:42:42 CEST 2012

Ethan Furman writes:

 > But not money.  ;)  positive is money I have, negative is money I owe,
 > and zero is nothing.

Accountants and economists take exception.  Unless you live on a
desert island with Friday, an aggregate zero is an accident, just like
a Poisson arrival at exactly midnight is an accident.

On the other hand, there are zeros that are None in accounting, but
they are *always* associated with a real zero (no sales of an item, no
production, worker absent, ...).

I have to admit I find Terry's circular reasoning[1] compelling as an
ex ante argument, but looking at the clock I discover it's ex post.
And it's really not that big a deal; if a factory function is
documented to return None, the test *should* be "x is not None", not
"bool(x)".

Footnotes:
[1]  Sorry, Terry, I couldn't resist!