[Python-ideas] I have an encrypted python module format: .pye

Guido van Rossum guido at python.org
Sat May 12 01:02:55 CEST 2012

It it impossible in the same way that it is impossible to lock the
front door of your house.

The Dropbox client for most major OS'es is written in Python and they
use a similar technique. They are very happy with it.

--Guido

On Fri, May 11, 2012 at 3:43 PM, Alexander Belopolsky
<alexander.belopolsky at gmail.com> wrote:

> On May 11, 2012, at 6:27 PM, li wang <charlesw123456 at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> I won't let the customer to read and modify
>> my code.
>
> What you describe sounds impossible: how can your customer run your code without an encryption key? If you deliver the key, how can you prevent the customer from reading your code?  Preventing modification is feasible with various signed code schemes, but software DRM can never work.

--Guido van Rossum (python.org/~guido)