[Python-ideas] hexdump

Floris Bruynooghe flub at devork.be
Sat May 12 18:20:40 CEST 2012

On 12 May 2012 09:59, anatoly techtonik <techtonik at gmail.com> wrote:
> hexdump(bytes)   - produce human readable dump of binary data,

+1 on this basic function, that would be very nice in the stdlib.  Now
I always need to go and dig up my own function from somewhere.

A certain deal of bikeshedding would be required on the function
signature however, I'd go with something like:

hexdump(data, rowsize=16, offsets=True, ascii=True)

Where rowsize is the number of bytes on one row, offsets controls
showing the byte number (in hex) of the first byte of each row and
ascii controls showing the 7-bit printable characters in a right hand
column.

This would cover my needs, I'm sure other people will come up with
more must-haves.

Regards,
Floris

--
Debian GNU/Linux -- The Power of Freedom