[Python-ideas] I have an encrypted python module format: .pye

Alexander Belopolsky alexander.belopolsky at gmail.com
Sun May 13 18:43:08 CEST 2012

On Sun, May 13, 2012 at 11:30 AM, Guido van Rossum <guido at python.org> wrote:
> I wasn't aware of the detail of the OP's proposal that the key was
> right in the user's environment -- but that actually has an exact
> analogy in the front door example: hiding the key under the mat.

This sounds like an argument not to include this functionality in
stdlib.  If hiding the key under the mat becomes standard, a key under
the mat will be as inviting as an open front door.  Those interested
in obscurity should not invite public discussion of clandestine
advantages of doormats over garden rocks.