[Python-ideas] input function: built-in space between string and user-input

Terry Reedy tjreedy at udel.edu
Thu May 17 00:53:33 CEST 2012

On 5/16/2012 6:27 AM, Ned Batchelder wrote:
> On 5/15/2012 5:19 PM, Terry Reedy wrote:
>> On 5/15/2012 6:46 AM,
>> Suriaprakash.Mariappan at smsc.com wrote:
>>> *_print function: built-in space between string and variable:_*
>>>
>>> The below python code,
>>>
>>> */length = 5/*
>>> */print('Length is', length)/*
>>>
>>> gives an output of
>>>
>>> */Length is 5/*
>>
>> The */.../* and *_..._* bracketing makes you post harder to read.
>> Perhaps this is used in India, but not elsewhere. Omit next time.
>
> That's your mail client's rendering of bold-italic and bold-underscored
> text from the HTML version of the original email.

I am reading the Gmane newsgroup mirror with Thunderbird. I have not
seen it do anything similar with other mixed text/plain and text/html
messages. So let me re-phrase by advice.

"The Python mailings lists and newsgroups are, as usual, intended for
plain text. Posting html or plaintext and html can have strange and
unpredictable effects with various mail and news readers. So if you want
people to see what you send, just use plain text, without tab characters."

--
Terry Jan Reedy