[Python-ideas] Async API: some code to review

Greg Ewing greg.ewing at canterbury.ac.nz
Thu Nov 1 23:37:59 CET 2012

Guido van Rossum wrote:
> If we weren't so reluctant to introduce new keywords in Python we
> might introduce await as an alias for yield from in the future.

Or 'cocall'. :-)

> I think tulip will end up requiring a decorator too -- but it will
> just "mark" the function rather than wrap it in another one, unless
> the function is not a generator (in which case it will probably have
> to wrap it in something that is a generator).

I don't see how that helps much, because the scheduler
doesn't see generators used in yield-from calls. There
is *no* way to catch the mistake of writing

    foo()

when you should have written

    yield from foo()

instead.

This is one way that codef/cocall (or some variant on it)
would help, by clearly diagnosing that mistake.

--
Greg