[Python-ideas] SSL and IOCP

Antoine Pitrou solipsis at pitrou.net
Sat Nov 3 23:39:26 CET 2012

On Sat, 03 Nov 2012 21:20:18 +0000
Richard Oudkerk <shibturn at gmail.com>
wrote:
> On 02/11/2012 11:59pm, Guido van Rossum wrote:
> > Working code or it didn't happen. (And it should scale too.)
>
> I have some (mostly) working code which replaces tulip's "pollster"
> classes with "proactor" classes for select(), poll(), epoll() and IOCP.  See
>

> https://bitbucket.org/sbt/tulip-proactor/changeset/c64ff42bf0f2679437838ee7795adb85
>
> The IOCP proactor does not support ssl (or ipv6) so main.py does not
> succeed in downloading from xkcd.com using ssl.  Using the other
> proactors it works correctly.

It wouldn't be crazy to add an in-memory counterpart to SSLSocket in
Python 3.4 (*). It could re-use the same underlying _ssl._SSLSocket, but
initialized with a "memory BIO" in OpenSSL jargon. PyOpenSSL already
has something similar, which is used in Twisted.

(an in-memory SSL object probably only makes sense in non-blocking mode)

(*) patches welcome :-)

Regards

Antoine.