[Python-ideas] With clauses for generator expressions

Andrew Barnert abarnert at yahoo.com
Fri Nov 16 20:02:49 CET 2012

I missed this the first time through among all the other alternative suggestions:

Sent from my iPhone

On Nov 15, 2012, at 20:33, Mathias Panzenböck <grosser.meister.morti at gmx.net>

> For now one can do this, which is functional equivalent but adds the overhead of another generator:
>
>   def managed(sequence):
>       with sequence:
>           for item in sequence:
>               yield item
>
>   upperlines = (lines.upper() for line in managed(open('foo', 'r')))

I think this ought to be in itertools in the standard library.

I don't think the extra overhead will be a problem most of the time.

It solves at least the simplest cases for when a with clause would be useful, and it's even a better solution for some cases where you'd write a with statement today.

In some cases you'd have to write things like managed(closing(foo)), but in those cases you probably wouldn't have wanted the with clause, either.