[Python-ideas] An error in multiprocessing on MacOSX?

Sturla Molden sturla at molden.no
Tue Nov 27 18:03:36 CET 2012

On 26.11.2012 23:11, Richard Oudkerk wrote:

> multiprocessing on Windows already depends on that feature;-)

Indeed it does :) But it seems the handle duplication is only used when
the Popen class is initiated, so it is not more flexible than just
inheriting handles on fork or CreateProcess. It would be nice to pass
newly created fds to child processes that are already running.

I.e. what I would like to see is an advanced queue that can be used to
pass files, sockets, locks, and other objects associated with a handle.
That is, when a "special object" on the queue is deserialized
(unpickled) by the receiver, it sends a request back to the sender for
handle duplication. One obvious use case would be a "thread pool" design
for a server app using processes instead of threads.

Sturla