[Python-ideas] Deprecate the round builtin

Mark Adam dreamingforward at gmail.com
Mon Oct 1 06:46:05 CEST 2012

On Thu, Sep 27, 2012 at 5:23 AM, Greg Ewing <greg.ewing at canterbury.ac.nz> wrote:
> Presumably they would be implemented as module objects,
> created automatically at interpreter startup instead of
> being loaded from a file.
>
> In which case "built-in module" might be a better term
> for them. And their names should start with lower case.

That's cool.  YES, lowercase.

> Also you wouldn't need new syntax to get names out of
> them, just the existing import machinery:
>
>   from numbers import *

Well, to me there must be a clear partitioning.

The stuff in the builtin [module] sets the tone for the whole
interpreter environment (and I think python culture itself).  If one
were to use the standard import language (like in your example), it
confuses one "semantically" -- because you're suggesting to treat a it
(i.e. a whole class of "things") as something optional.

Does that make sense?  Thanks,

markj