[Python-ideas] Visually confusable unicode characters in identifiers

Nick Coghlan ncoghlan at gmail.com
Mon Oct 1 21:37:24 CEST 2012

On Tue, Oct 2, 2012 at 12:59 AM, Massimo DiPierro
<massimo.dipierro at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello Guido,
>
> it does make sense. The only point I tried to make is that, because something is allowed, it does mean it should be encouraged.
> I am sure there are instructors who want to teach to code using Japanese of Chinese variable names. Python gives them a way to do so.
> Yet, if they do so, they would be isolating their students and their code from the rest of the world.

Only if they *stop* there. The idea is just to allow the learning
curve to be made gentler - as people learn the standard library and
the tools on PyPI, then yes, it will still be necessary to continue
learning English in order to make use of those tools (especially as
many of them won't have translated documentation).

Cheers,
Nick.