[Python-ideas] PEP 428 - object-oriented filesystem paths

Paul Moore p.f.moore at gmail.com
Sat Oct 6 12:27:58 CEST 2012

On 6 October 2012 11:09, Stephen J. Turnbull <stephen at xemacs.org> wrote:
> Antoine Pitrou writes:
>
>  > ``relative()`` returns a new relative path by stripping the drive and root::
>
> Does this have use cases so common that it deserves a convenience
> method?

Agreed.

> I would expect "relative" to require an argument.  (Ie, I
> would expect it to have the semantics of "relative_to".)

I agree that's what I thought relative() would be when I first read the name.

> Or is the
> issue that you can't count on PureNTPath(p).relative_to('C:\\') to
> DTRT?

It seems to me that if p isn't on drive C:, then the right thing is
clearly to raise an exception. No ambiguity there - although Unix
users might well write code that doesn't allow for exceptions from the
method, just because it's not a possible result on Unix. Having it
documented might help raise awareness of the possibility, though. And
that's about the best you can hope for.

Paul.