[Python-ideas] asyncore: included batteries don't fit

Josiah Carlson josiah.carlson at gmail.com
Sun Oct 7 00:44:05 CEST 2012

On Fri, Oct 5, 2012 at 1:09 PM, Antoine Pitrou <solipsis at pitrou.net> wrote:
> On Fri, 5 Oct 2012 11:51:21 -0700
> Josiah Carlson <josiah.carlson at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>>
>> My long-term dream (which has been the case for 6+ years, since I
>> proposed doing it myself on the python-dev mailing list and was told
>> "no") is that whether someone uses urllib2, httplib2, smtpd, requests,
>> ftplib, etc., they all have access to high-quality protocol-level
>> protocol parsers.
>
> I'm not sure what you're talking about: what were you told "no" about,
> specifically? Your proposal sounds reasonable and (ideally) desirable to
> me.

I've managed to find the email where I half-way proposed it (though
not as pointed as what I posted above):
http://mail.python.org/pipermail/python-dev/2004-November/049827.html

Phillip J. Eby said in a reply that policy would kill it. My
experience at the time told me that policy was a tough nut to crack,
and my 24-year old self wasn't confident enough to keep pushing (even
though I had the time). Now, my 32-year old self has the confidence
and the knowledge to do it (or advise how to do it), but not the time
(I'm finishing up my first book, doing a conference tour, running a
startup, and preparing for my first child).

One of the big reasons why I like and am pushing Giampaolo's ideas
(and existing code) is my faith that he *can* and *will* do it, if he
says he will.

Regards,
 - Josiah