[Python-ideas] asyncore: included batteries don't fit

Devin Jeanpierre jeanpierreda at gmail.com
Sun Oct 7 06:23:43 CEST 2012

On Sun, Oct 7, 2012 at 12:05 AM, Guido van Rossum <guido at python.org> wrote:
> However I figured that if we define the interfaces well enough, it
> might be possible to use (a superficially modified version of)
> Twisted's reactors instead of the standard ones, and, orthogonally,
> Twisted's deferred's could be wrapped in the standard Futures (or the
> other way around?) when used with a non-Twisted reactor. Which would
> hopefully open the door for migrating some of their more useful
> protocol parsers into the stdlib.

I thought futures were meant for thread and process pools? The
blocking methods make them a bad fit for an asynchronous networking
toolset.

The Twisted folks have discussed integrating futures and Twisted (see
also the reply, which has some corrections):

http://twistedmatrix.com/pipermail/twisted-python/2011-January/023296.html

-- Devin