[Python-ideas] checking for identity before comparing built-in objects

Alexander Belopolsky alexander.belopolsky at gmail.com
Mon Oct 8 03:09:08 CEST 2012

On Sun, Oct 7, 2012 at 8:54 PM, Guido van Rossum <guido at python.org> wrote:
> Seriously, we can't change our position on this topic now without
> making a lot of people seriously unhappy. IEEE 754 it is.

I did not suggest a change.  I wrote: "I am not suggesting any
language changes, but I think it will be
useful to explain why float('nan') != float('nan') somewhere in the
docs."  If there is a concise explanation for the choice of IEEE 754
vs. Java, I think we should write it down and put an end to this
debate.