[Python-ideas] PEP 428 - object-oriented filesystem paths

Chris Angelico rosuav at gmail.com
Mon Oct 8 17:03:59 CEST 2012

On Tue, Oct 9, 2012 at 1:28 AM, Oleg Broytman <phd at phdru.name> wrote:
>    If a filesystem mounted to w32 is exported from a server by CIFS/SMB
> protocol -- is it case sensitive? What if said server is Linux? What if
> said filesystem was actually imported to Linux from a Novel server by
> NetWare Core Protocol. It's not a fictional situation -- I do it at
> oper.med.ru; the server is Linux that mounts two CIFS and NCP filesystem
> and reexport them via Samba.

And I thought I was weird in using sshfs and Samba together to
"bounce" drive access without having to set up SMB passwords for lots
of systems...

Would it be safer to simply assume that everything's case sensitive
until you actually do a filesystem call (a stat or something)? That
is, every Pure function works as though the FS is case sensitive?

ChrisA