[Python-ideas] asyncore: included batteries don't fit

Barry Warsaw barry at python.org
Mon Oct 8 18:45:34 CEST 2012

On Oct 06, 2012, at 03:00 PM, Guido van Rossum wrote:

>This is an incredibly important discussion.

Indeed.  If Python gets it right, it could be yet another killer reason for
upgrading to Python 3, at least for the growing subset of event-driven
applications.

>(1) How importance is it to offer a compatibility path for asyncore?

I've written and continue to use async-based code.  I don't personally care
much about compatibility.  I've use async because it was the simplest and most
stdlibby of the options for the Python versions I can use, but I have no love
for it.  If there were a better, more readable and comprehensible way to do
it, I'd ditch the async-based versions as soon as possible.

>I would have thought that offering an integration path forward for Twisted
>and Tornado would be more important.

Agreed.  I share the same dream as someone else in this thread mentioned.  It
would be really fantastic if the experts in a particular protocol could write
support for that protocol Just Once and have it as widely shared as possible.
Maybe this is an unrealistic dream, but now's the time to have them anyway.

Even something like the email package could benefit from this.  The FeedParser
is our attempt to support asynchronous reading of email data for parsing.  I'm
not so sure that the asynchronous part of that is very useful.

-Barry