[Python-ideas] PEP 428: poll about the joining syntax

Masklinn masklinn at masklinn.net
Mon Oct 8 22:08:05 CEST 2012

On 2012-10-08, at 20:47 , Antoine Pitrou wrote:
> - `p[q]` joins path q to path p

-1

> - `p + q` joins path q to path p

-1

> - `p / q` joins path q to path p

+0, looks like a unix path although others will have issues

> - `p.join(q)` joins path q to path p

+1, especially if `p.join(*q)`, strongly reminiscent of os.path.join
(which I often import "bare" in path-heavy code), I don't think the
common naming with str.join is an issue anymore than it is for
threading.Thread.join.

> - `p.joinpath(q)` joins path q to path p

same as `join`, although more of a +0.9 as it's longer without
benefits.