[Python-ideas] PEP 428: poll about the joining syntax

Antoine Pitrou solipsis at pitrou.net
Mon Oct 8 22:50:47 CEST 2012

I'm forwarding Barry's answer:

-------- Message transféré --------
De: Barry Warsaw <barry at python.org>
À: Antoine Pitrou
<public-solipsis-xNDA5Wrcr86sTnJN9+BGXg at plane.gmane.org>
Sujet: Re: PEP 428: poll about the joining syntax
Date: Mon, 8 Oct 2012 15:17:01 -0400

Like a good American low-information voter, I'll cast my ballot without
having read PEP 428.

On Oct 08, 2012, at 08:47 PM, Antoine Pitrou wrote:

>- `p[q]` joins path q to path p

-1 Definitely not intuitive.

>- `p + q` joins path q to path p

+0.  IMHO, the most intuitive, but causes problems when you just want
to tack on an extension, er, suffix.  I guess if PathObj + str works
it's not so bad.

>- `p / q` joins path q to path p

+0.  Cute!  Too *nix centric?

>- `p.join(q)` joins path q to path p

-0.  Explicit (yay), but a bit verbose (boo).  Maybe this should be the
default underlying API, with one of the above as nice syntactic sugar?

-Barry