[Python-ideas] History stepping in interactive session?

Guido van Rossum guido at python.org
Tue Oct 9 06:13:58 CEST 2012

On Mon, Oct 8, 2012 at 8:42 PM, Stephen J. Turnbull <stephen at xemacs.org> wrote:
> Steven D'Aprano writes:
>
>  > I thought so too, but apparently the behaviour being talked about is a
>  > bash extension to readline. Adding it to Python would be a feature
>  > request, not a bug fix.
>
> In that case, I think it's unfortunately that Python doesn't provide a
> way to warn about unimplemented stuff in .inputrc.  Both on my Mac and
> on my Gentoo system, C-o simply does nothing.

Please do file a bug about this. Python's interface to readline is
pretty old, I wouldn't be surprised if more functionality could be
added. Regarding operate-and-get-next, I searched for "gnu readline
operate-and-get-next" and found some feature requests about it for
Sage and IPython (not sure of the status there), plus an explanation
of why it's not part of GNU readline: it needs to be implemented by
the calling app because only the latter knows what constitutes a
complete statement. I think either of these would probably be a fun
project for an aspiring core developer interested in improving their C
skills.

--
--Guido van Rossum (python.org/~guido)