[Python-ideas] PEP 428: poll about the joining syntax

Mark Lawrence breamoreboy at yahoo.co.uk
Tue Oct 9 14:47:41 CEST 2012

On 08/10/2012 19:47, Antoine Pitrou wrote:

> Hello,
>
> Since there has been some controversy about the joining syntax used in
> PEP 428 (filesystem path objects), I would like to run an informal poll
> about it. Please answer with +1/+0/-0/-1 for each proposal:
>
> - `p[q]` joins path q to path p

-1 yuck

> - `p + q` joins path q to path p

+1 Pythonic

> - `p / q` joins path q to path p

-0 veering to +0 it just seems wrong but I can't strongly put my finger
on why.

> - `p.join(q)` joins path q to path p

-1 likely to confuse idiots like me as it's too similar to string.join.

For the last one would there be a real need for a path.join method, or
has this already been discussed and I've forgotten about it?

--
Cheers.

Mark Lawrence.