[Python-ideas] PEP 428: poll about the joining syntax

Nick Coghlan ncoghlan at gmail.com
Wed Oct 10 06:02:57 CEST 2012

On Tue, Oct 9, 2012 at 6:04 PM, Antoine Pitrou <solipsis at pitrou.net> wrote:
> That's a very good idea! Even better if there's a way to make it work as
> expected with openat support (for example by allowing __fspath__ to return
> a (dir_fd, filename) tuple).

The other thing I thought might be useful is to try to tie it into the
new "opener" parameter for open somehow, On the other hand, that's
getting further into full-blown filesystem emulation territory
(http://packages.python.org/fs/). That may not be a bad thing, though
- a proper filesystem abstraction might finally let us deal with
encoding and case-sensitivity issues in a sane way, since they're
filesystem dependent rather than platform dependent (e.g. opening
FAT/FAT32 devices on *nix systems).

Cheers,
Nick.