[Python-ideas] Floating point contexts in Python core

Guido van Rossum guido at python.org
Thu Oct 11 16:54:35 CEST 2012

I think you're mistaking  my suggestion. I meant to recommend that
there should be a way to control the behavior (e.g. whether to
silently return Nan/Inf or raise an exception) of floating point
operations, using the capabilities of the hardware as exposed through
C, using Python's existing float type. I did not for a second consider
reimplementing IEEE 754 from scratch. Therein lies insanity.

That's also why I recommended you look at the fpectl module.

--
--Guido van Rossum (python.org/~guido)