[Python-ideas] The async API of the future: Reactors

Greg Ewing greg.ewing at canterbury.ac.nz
Sat Oct 13 02:01:23 CEST 2012

Guido van Rossum wrote:

> - There's an abstract Reactor class and an abstract Async I/O object
> class.

Can we please use a better term than "reactor" for this?
Its meaning is only obvious to someone familiar with Twisted.

Not being such a person, it's taken me a while to figure out
from this discussion that it refers to the central object
implementing the event loop, and not one of the user-supplied
objects that could equally well be described as "reacting"
to events.

Something like "dispatcher" would be clearer, IMO.

--
Greg