[Python-ideas] yield from multiple iterables (was Re: The async API of the future: yield-from)

Nick Coghlan ncoghlan at gmail.com
Fri Oct 19 15:56:04 CEST 2012

On Fri, Oct 19, 2012 at 10:55 PM, Christian Tismer <tismer at stackless.com> wrote:
> I was curious and searched quite a lot.
> It was v3.3.0a1 from 2012-03-15 as a reaction to #14230 and #14220
> from Marc Shannon, patched by Benjamin.
>
> Now I found the original implementation. That looks very much
> as I'm thinking it should be.
>
> Quite a dramatic change which works well, but really seems to remove
> what I would call "now I can emulate most of Stackless" efficiently.
>
> Maybe I should just try to think it would be implemented as before,
> build an abstraction and just use it for now.
>
> I will spend my time at PyCon de for sprinting on "yield from".

Yeah, if we can get Greg's original optimised behaviour while still
supporting introspection properly, that's really where we want to be.
That's the main reason I'm a fan of Mark's other patches moving more
of the generator state from the frame objects out into the generator
objects - my suspicion is that generator objects themselves need to be
maintaining a full "generator stack" independent of the frame stack in
the main eval loop in order to get the best of both worlds (i.e.
optimised suspend/resume with confusing debuggers).

Cheers,
Nick.