[Python-ideas] yield from multiple iterables (was Re: The async API of the future: yield-from)

Christian Tismer tismer at stackless.com
Fri Oct 19 18:50:39 CEST 2012

On 19.10.12 18:07, Guido van Rossum wrote:
> On Fri, Oct 19, 2012 at 5:05 AM, Christian Tismer <tismer at stackless.com> wrote:

>>> Only if yield-from chains aren't optimised the way they
>>> used to be.
>>
>> Does that mean a very deep recursion would be efficient?
> TBH, I am not interested in making very deep recursion work at all. If
> you need that, you're doing it wrong in my opinion.

Misunderstanding I think. Of course I don't want to use deep recursion.
But people might write things that happen several levels deep and
then iterating over lots of stuff. A true generator would have no
problem with that.
Assume just five layers of generators that have to be re-invoked
for a tight yielding loop is quite some overhead that can be avoided.

The reason why I care is that existing implementations that use
greenlet style could  be turned into pure python, given that I manage
to write the right support functions, and replace all functions by
generators that emulate functions with async behavior.

It would just be great if that worked at the same speed, independent
from at which stack level an iteration happens.

Agreed that new code like that would be bad style.

ciao - chris

phone +49 173 24 18 776  fax +49 (30) 700143-0023