[Python-ideas] yield from multiple iterables (was Re: The async API of the future: yield-from)

Greg Ewing greg.ewing at canterbury.ac.nz
Sun Oct 21 01:52:40 CEST 2012

Christian Tismer wrote:
> Would you raise an
> exception if something is called that is not a cofunction? Or
> would that be an ordinary call?

A cofunction calling a non-cofunction is fine, it just makes
an ordinary call.

But if a non-cofunction tries to call a cofunction using an
ordinary call, an exception raised. Effectively, cofunctions
do *not* implement __call__ (instead they implement a new
protocol __cocall__).

> The only difference is that I'm not aiming at coroutines in
> the first place, but just having the concept of a *suspendable*
> function.

I'm not sure what the distinction is.

> What has happened to the PEP, was it rejected?

No, its status is still listed as "draft". It's probably too
soon to consider whether it should be accepted or rejected;
we need more experience with yield-from based task systems
first.

--
Greg