[Python-ideas] yield from multiple iterables (was Re: The async API of the future: yield-from)

Christian Tismer tismer at stackless.com
Wed Oct 24 02:24:49 CEST 2012

On 23.10.12 00:35, Guido van Rossum wrote:
> On Mon, Oct 22, 2012 at 3:33 PM, Greg Ewing <greg.ewing at canterbury.ac.nz> wrote:
>> Guido van Rossum wrote:
>>
>>> (Aside: please don't use 'continuation' for 'task'. The use of this
>>> term in Scheme has forever tainted the word for me.)
>> It has a broader meaning than the one in Scheme; essentially
>> it's a synonym for "callback".
> (Off-topic:) But does that meaning apply to Scheme? If so, I wish
> someone would have told me 15 years ago...

As used quite often, the definition is more like "half a coroutine",
that means the part that can resume it at some point.
Sticking two together, you get a coroutine (tasklet, greenlet etc).
The are one-shot continuations, they are gone after resuming.

The meaning in Scheme is much weider, and you were right to be scared.
In Scheme, these beasts survive their reactivation as a constant.
My big design error in 1998 was to implement exactly those full
continuations for Python.

I'm scared myself when I recall that ... ;-)

ciao - chris

phone +49 173 24 18 776  fax +49 (30) 700143-0023