[Python-ideas] docs.python.org

Terry Reedy tjreedy at udel.edu
Sat Oct 27 04:55:33 CEST 2012

On 10/26/2012 6:46 PM, Cameron Simpson wrote:
> On 26Oct2012 18:22, Devin Jeanpierre <jeanpierreda at gmail.com> wrote:
> | On Fri, Oct 26, 2012 at 6:15 PM, Terry Reedy <tjreedy at udel.edu> wrote:
> | > I think it should already have been done. To not feature our latest release
> | > on the page where the latest releases have always before been featured is to
> | > say that it is somehow not a full production-ready release.
> |
> | There were times when 3.1 and 3.2 were the latest releases, and they
> | have never been featured there. They were also production ready.

3.1 came out in between 2.6 and 2.7 and one could argue that it was
still somewhat a trial version and that switching back and forth (2.6,
3.1, 2.7) would not be a good idea.

3.2 came out 8 months after 2.7. I would have made the switch then, but
I acknowledge that one could argue that 2.7 had not had its 18-24 months
in the sun, and that 3.2 still lacked 3rd party library support.

> That's Terry's point: by not featuring them there we're insinuating that they
> were not production ready...

3.3 is now out 29 months after 2.7, library support is much improved,
and the new unicode implementation fixes most to almost all the
remaining problems with unicode. It is a release we can be proud of and
should promote as the latest and greatest Python version.

--
Terry Jan Reedy