[Python-ideas] docs.python.org

M.-A. Lemburg mal at egenix.com
Sat Oct 27 12:54:20 CEST 2012

On 27.10.2012 08:22, Nick Coghlan wrote:
> So that's my concrete proposal:
> 1. We pick a date (June next year sounds about right)
> 2. We pick a stable URL prefix for the Python 2 docs (I vote "/2.x/")

Why "/2.x/" and not just "/2/" ?

> 3. We start redirecting affected pages immediately

I think we should do the same for all Python 3 resources, i.e.
have "/library/os.html" redirect to "/3/library/os.html" so that
we don't run into the same problem again in the future.

> 4. We add a notice like the one above to the home page of the 2.7
> docs, announce it on the PSF blog, announce it far and wide

We also need a solution for URLs that exist for Python 2, but
not for Python 3. Those should be redirected to the Python 2
resource automatically, e.g. URLs pointing to the Python 2 modules
that were renamed in Python 3.

BTW: Will you write up a PEP for this ?

--
Marc-Andre Lemburg
eGenix.com

Professional Python Services directly from the Source  (#1, Oct 27 2012)
2012-10-29: PyCon DE 2012, Leipzig, Germany ...             2 days to go

               http://www.egenix.com/company/contact/